Blog background

Monday, July 23, 2012

It's all in the details...

At least that's what I've been telling myself all day. Decided to really do my best to finish up the cabin's fireplace and chimney today. For the piece of wood I had for the mantle -- I like the way it's turned out. Of course I then started taking a closer look at the actual fireplace, and realized that way back when someone painted the interior black and managed at the same time to get a good bit of that black paint on the rocks around the entrance. Unfortunately I couldn't get the paint off, so instead attempted to paint them back to a bit more natural look. They're certainly not great, but at the very least the colors on them should tie more solidly into the stones I'm painting in the clay for the chimney... So at least there is a bright side there.

Also, went back to verify there was nothing more to do with-in the Heather dollhouse. One thing I've been trying to do with each house I do for this raffle give-away is to paint in the Relay for Life symbol somewhere in each house. Hadn't done that yet for this house and so decided to go ahead and add it to the stair surround. It will be completed in a darker purple, though I think that will be complementary to the colors used in the room it will be located.

Have to say as houses go, I did get to try my hand at a few new techniques -- of which I not only enjoyed but am thankful. The staircase from scratch was the first first if you will. The second I got to try out was using cork shelf liner for flooring, which I have to say looks better than I initially thought it would. I also did a tile carpet in the bathroom which was new for me in miniature -- and I must admit I think the colors of that room are my favorite! It's a bright green, with a bit of "bling" to it on the walls. Then a white tile with copper threads swirled through surrounding the outer edges of the room with a blue, green, and copper tiled "rug" in the middle. Of course, it's also the first house I've papered the outside of to give the illusion of brick as well.

This house definitely turned out colorful, yet I think, harmonious. Tomorrow I hope to have pictures of both with the final details done and in place for you guys to see and if y'all don't mind critiquing -- it's always appreciated! Until tomorrow guys.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment