Blog background

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Flooring update...

The beginning...


Transferring pattern with knife
I know, I know, I seem to be obsessed with getting the floors right in my dollhouses. However, while I like different wall decor -- the floors really seem to be the thing for me to judge character of a house by. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to some, but for me it's like when I meet a person -- I always tend to look at their feet and what type of shoes they have on. You can truly tell a good deal by these points, both in a house and on a person.

As it stands, I've not finished the bedroom floor -- but we're quite close on it. All I've done for this one is sketch out a pattern on graph paper, then went ahead and traced it on to some tracing paper. Once I did this I colored behind the pattern with charcoal(just use your pencil if you need to). From there I ended up having to take my utility knife and poke holes through the pattern to transfer the lines to the floor. This was incredibly idiotic of me, and you won't need to worry about this step if you're smart and wait to stain your flooring after you transfer the pattern. From there I'm just using my wood burner to make the pattern more permanent.

Where I'm at...
Was thinking of painting in the ropes in the pattern, but I think it looks a bit more rustic with just the stain and the pyrography.. What do you think? I'm going for an older Tudor styled cottage, preferably of a Celtic persuasion -- thus the choice of interlace for the flooring pattern :)

Until tomorrow, hope you all are safe and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment