Blog background

Sunday, April 3, 2011

It worked!!! :)

Cold Porcelain Paste Recipe

Ingredients

- 2 cups of Corn Starch

- 2 cups of Elmer's Glue or wood glue (should be white, and has to be a PVA)

- 1 Tbs of lemon juice (it acts as a conservative)


-2 Tbs baby oil (you could use any oil like mineral, cooking, baby or even Vaseline petroleum jelly will work)
   
- 1 Tbs of white liquid tempera paint

- 1 Tbs of cold cream (non greasy, without lanolin and silicone, I used Ponds)

- Glass bowl (microwave compatible)


- Wooden spoon


This is the recipe I found for cold porcelain, and I have to say after buying an airdry clay that cracked all to heck on my eldest niece's dh -- wasn't too sure about trying this again. However, in finding not only the recipe, but also some good handling tips -- so much happier with this! I'll tell you now that I won't be posting pics until tomorrow, b/c I'd like to have the pics from start to finish of it all.

However, I will share what I've found -- and I will say this should make about a cup all together of the clay. The glue needs to be high tack -- either white wood glue, PVA, or something like Elmer's Glue All. I've even heard of folks using tacky glue in this, and I'd suppose whatever you can get your hands on that's not too expensive -- go for it.

The lemon juice is working as a conservative in the recipe... Very much like what formalin would do in some of the other recipes I'd found -- this however is cheaper, more easily obtainable, and won't kill your skin.

As for the cold cream, like I said I used Pond's Cold Cream -- you only use this on your hands at the time of kneading, and I don't believe I used a full tbsp. You don't want it greasy, but this helps so the clay/paste doesn't stick to your hands.

Now for the how to portion... bwahahahaha

Just kidding, it's really not bad!

Basically you just need to mix all the ingredients in the glass bowl excepting the hand cream(again that's just for your hands when kneading). You can even use a hand mixer to really make sure you get it all mixed, and not chunky(that's what I got trying to do it by hand). Either way though you want it to not have lumps, and be smooth or I guess a uniform consistency if you will. Once smooth, place the bowl   in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes on high. You'll want to open the microwave each minute and mix the clay with your wooden spoon. This is so it cooks evenly -- as with variations in sizes of cups used for measuring, microwave power, heat, etc... well you get the point there, there's a lot of variables that can adjust how your clay is going to cook. If necessary you can monitor every 30 seconds for the last minute.

Once your clay is cooked I would suggest laying out a piece of wax paper and securing it to your counter top or table. Then you can use your cold cream and spread it about on this paper, as well as on your hands. Then place the clay on top, from what I've been able to discern the hotter the better when kneading. Makes for a smoother final clay product. Suggestion I read said to knead for at least 5-7 minutes, the more you knead -- again the better the product will be to work with. Tip I also read says to coil after you're done kneading to prevent the formation of air bubbles. From there you can seal it up in a plastic zip lock bag and stick it in the fridge for at least 24 hours. You could also use cling wrap, or saran wrap -- just note to anyone else doing this, you may want to use a touch of the cold cream to grease the plastic to keep your clay moist.

Hope this might help someone else, have to say I'm really happy with this so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment